My go-to snacks
Paleo, Gluten-free, Vegan, Vegetarian, Pescetarian, Raw, Okinawa….are you confused yet? Portlandia aired a hilarious skit on death by confusion. It’s definitely worth the four minutes of your time.
I’m not going to tell you how to eat, although you may find this video from MindBodyGreen debating the best diet interesting. I try to follow Paleo or the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (both grain and sugar free), however, I believe you have to find what works for you.
Regardless of your preference, there are many rules that transcend every food movement. Remove processed foods, eat lots of veggies and protein, avoid sugar and make it part of your lifestyle. Agree?
The only way to successfully follow these general guidelines is to be prepared. We all know that it can’t humanly be done 100% of the time. Here are some of my go-to snacks for when I’m having a busy day.
- Larabars – be careful, a few of the flavors do have sugar in it.
- Olives – I always go for green.
- Salmon jerky – I have only found this at my farmer’s market, but I have to believe it exists elsewhere.
- Pistachios – Try the spicy ones!
- Plantain chips & salsa – not the best because it’s still a starch, but they are delish and great in a pinch.
- Almond butter shake – my version is made with almond milk, whey protein (unsweetened), almond butter and a banana.
- Spinach/Ginger smoothie – almond milk, spinach, fresh ginger, one banana and whey protein.
- Grain-free granola – I buy Steve’s Paleo Goods and it’s like dessert – eat accordingly.
If you have any others, please share. I’m always looking to add to my list.