Working out with a baby
I did not expect working out to change much after I had my baby. I was certain I could still squeeze in 20 minute workouts after he went to bed or during naps. Well … I could not have been more wrong. Oh and that first workout back – I can’t even explain how hard that felt.
What I didn’t anticipate is that this beautiful, alert, head strong little baby would suck all of the energy and brains out of my body.
Sleep training has allowed me some energy to figure out a new routine. Here’s what it looks like 7 months in.
- Pilates everyday – even if it’s 4 minutes, I have forced myself to get on the floor and do pilates. Sometimes afterward, I have the energy to put a load of laundry in and sometimes, I curl up on the couch and watch tv. I’m doing March MATness and the 30 Day Pilates Body Challenge to stay motivated – join me!
- Mommy & Me Yoga – I loved these classes. My babe was always entertained and I squeezed in a workout most of the time. He’s crawling now so we have to start a class for older babies, which I’d imagine is less of a workout and more of a chase.
- Hiking – This was my go-to because my babe would nap better in a carrier than at home. And fresh air – do not discount the importance of fresh air when you are overwhelmed, tired and well, tired.
- Rock climbing – We just took our babe, 7 months, to the climbing gym and it was awesome. He crawled everywhere and even attempted to climb while we took turns bouldering. It is definitely part of our new routine, although, he was full of chalk after (germs are good right).
- Swimming – I try to swim once a week. My joints are still super loose from the hormones so I have to be really careful to avoid injuring myself – be careful mamas! I’m trying to see a physical therapist for some help.
- Stroller Strides – We attend family classes next to our farmers market and it’s our new Sunday tradition. It’s a HIT workout that’s more baa-baa-black sheep then boom-boom-pow. We sacrifice a good morning nap, but we both get to workout AT THE SAME TIME and then shop for the week at the market. Win win.
I can’t do all those activities every week (duh), but I do pilates on my own Monday – Thursday. Friday, I either go to yoga or the climbing gym. Saturdays are swimming and/or a hike and on Sundays we do family Stroller Strides.
And it’s seriously hard! Go parents, go. This journey is not for the faint of heart.